It’s holiday movie season and there are a few on my list to revisit before the big day. In no particular order, they are:
1. Love Actually: I love the weaving of the stories and the deadpan English humor. A word of caution-I saw this in the theater with my mom and the scenes with the nude stand-ins were a touch, uh, awkward.
2. Four Christmases: One word: Mistletoe!
3. The Holiday: I’m not sure why I love this movie. The writing is average. The acting is nothing remarkable, but for some mysterious reason, this one is mandatory. I think it’s the adorable old man. Especially his water aerobics scene. Hot stuff.
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon): I love any movie with a character with a heart full of unwashed socks. I crack up every year reading this book to my class and the narration in the movie only makes it better.
5. Elf: It’s impossible to dislike a movie with the line, “I’m sorry for ruining your life and shoving eleven cookies into the VCR.”
6. A Charlie Brown Christmas: I love the music and the message. That little tree is just so sad and endearing. You didn’t know a tree could be endearing? Obviously you haven’t spent very much time with your Christmas tree. Shame on you.
*Not on the list because they’re television shows are the Festivus episode of Seinfeld and the Chanukah Armadillo episode of Friends.